Tuesday, April 26, 2011

To BEA or Not to BEA

Blog by S. English

BEA is around the corner and yet I am still undecided as to whether or not I’ll attend this year. I’ve paid for my assistant and a colleague to go, but may not attend personally as I have in years past.

Part of the issue is money. New York City is expensive. Luckily I have a friend in the city who I can stay with, but then transportation is expensive, so there are budgetary issues.

Part of it is the cost of creating the materials to pass out at BEA. We create DVDs every year and have them distributed at the registration desks. Historically we’ve paid $500 for that distribution and the cost of making the DVDs are $500 so that’s been a really great deal. But, as of today I was told that the cost of distribution of our DVDs has not doubled, or even tripled, but it is five times more than what we’ve ever paid before. Five times. Not $500, but now it is $2500 and I’m told this only a month before BEA, long after I sent an email asking to secure the DVD distribution as I have done over the past 4 years.

I may go as I do each year to report for Reader’s Entertainment, but knowing that BEA is charging five time what it normally charges to a small business such as mine makes it a tough pill to swallow just to be there.  I guess time will tell whether I go or not.

1 comment:

COS Productions said...

Today I heard back from a rep at BEA saying they would do me a huge favor this time and let me pay just twice the amount, but I only get to hand out items on day instead of three.
So now we've gone from $500 for three days of promo to $1000 for one day.
And I said? "Thank you."
What else can I say? It gets me nothing to be rude. It gets me nothing to point out that we are in this predicament because THEY MADE AN ERROR not once, not twice but FOUR TIMES and gave us the $500 pricing four years in a row.

Now that the decision has been made we may not have the time to get the DVDs made. I feel a little bit like Cinderella trying to make a dress for the ball that I will not be welcome at anyway.

Still waiting to see how this turns out.